Please read, initial each item, sign at the end, and return to the team manager or coach.
- I pledge to be on time or early when bringing my child to his/her practices and games. I understand that it may be uncomfortable for my child to be late to a game or practice and that he/she is subject to physical risk if not provided with adequate time to warm up. I understand that I am encouraged to stay during practices and games, but if I do not, I will be there when he/she is finished. Being punctual shows respect for the coach, who has other time commitments, and it tells my child that he/she is my top priority. ______
- I understand that the top three reasons kids play sports are to have fun, make new friends and learn new skills. I understand that the game is for the kids, and that I will encourage my child to have fun and keep sport in its proper perspective. I understand that athletes do their best when they are emotionally healthy, so I will be positive and supportive. ______
- I will redefine what it is to be a “Winner” in my conversations with my child. Winners are people who make the maximum effort, continue to learn and improve, and do not let mistakes, or fear of making mistakes, discourage them. I understand that mistakes are an inevitable part of any game and that people learn from their mistakes. I understand that all children are born with different abilities and that the true measure of success is not how my child compares to others, but how he/she is doing in comparison to his/her best self. _____
- I will “Honor the Game.” I understand the importance of setting a good example of sportsmanship for my child. I will show respect for all involved in the game including coaches, players, opponents, opposing fans, and referees. I understand that officials, coaches, and players make mistakes. If the referee makes a call I do not agree with, I will refrain from questioning, insulting or making personal attacks against him or her. _____
- I understand that games can be exciting times for my child as he/she deals with the fast-paced action of the game, responds to opponents, referees, teammates and listen to coaches. I will not yell out instructions. During the game, I will make only sportsmanlike comments that encourage my child and other players on both teams. ______
- I will not make negative comments about the game, coaches, referees or teammates in my child’s presence. This sets a bad example, which can negatively influence my child’s motivation and overall experience. I agree to act in a sportsmanlike manner and make every effort to foster a friendly and non-violent atmosphere. ______
I agree to honor the AYSO Parent Pledge in my words and actions.
AYSO recognizes the efforts and advancements made by the Positive Coaching Alliance in Honor of the Game. The Parent Pledge is adapted from Positive Coaching Alliance’s Parent Pledge (http://www.positivecoach.org/)