In AYSO Region 13, many of our older soccer players (from age 12 and up) are also volunteers – particularly as youth referees.
The following instructions are designed to help parents register their AYSO soccer players as youth volunteers. If your child is NOT an AYSO soccer player, then you may prefer to register your child as an ordinary volunteer using our standard instructions for becoming a volunteer.
To register a youth volunteer, you want to take two essential steps just like everyone else:
- Specify relevant volunteer preferences on our Volunteer Preferences Form.
- Submit a National Volunteer Application via Blue Sombrero.
Instructions for the Volunteer Preferences Form
- Make sure you have a valid, unique email address for your child. (You can configure this email to forward messages to your own email address; but your child’s address should NOT be your own email address.)
- Visit the Volunteer Preferences Form here: https://goo.gl/ioLsFb
- Answer the questions and you’re done!
Instructions for the National Volunteer Application (via Blue Sombrero)
Every volunteer (coach, referee, board member, team parent, etc.) submits one National Volunteer Application each year (annually). These applications are delivered to AYSO’s national headquarters for an annual background check, which screens for volunteers’ suitability to work with children for AYSO.
Submitting a National Volunteer Application takes about 20 minutes. Here are instructions:
- Before starting, be sure to have the following things ready:
- The last 4 digits of your child’s social security number.
- A photo ID of (any kind) for the child.
- Name, telephone number, and address for two references – for example, a former coach, referee, or other sports official, a teacher, club or religious leader, or anyone else who personally knows the child.
- Point your browser to the Blue Sombrero landing page for AYSO Region 13: http://ayso.bluesombrero.com/region13
- Login to your account (your parental account).
- Point your browser to the R13 landing page again: http://ayso.bluesombrero.com/region13
- Look for the words “VOLUNTEER APPLICATIONS” near the HOME and AYSOU tabs. When you move your mouse over the top of any tab, its color turns from gray to red. Click on the volunteer applications tab.
- By the words ‘National Volunteer Application (MY2017)’ click on the button labeled “+Sign Up”.
- Click on the green button labeled ‘SIGN UP’ followed by Continue.
- Click on the large [+] box with the words “Invite New Account User” lettered underneath. Then click Continue.
Before clicking ‘Invite New User”
After clicking ‘Invite New User”
- Next, to complete the required information on the following page, here are some key tips:
- Try to limit answers to the required questions.
- Indicate whether the youth volunteer is new or returning for another year as a volunteer.
- Photo ID Type: If you do not have any of the listed choices (for example, if you only have school-issued photo ID card), select “State ID” for the photo ID type.
- Photo ID Number: If the Photo ID does not provide a unique identification number for the youth volunteer, enter “0000.”
- Photo ID Expiration Date: If the Photo ID does not have an expiration date, enter “December 31, 2017”.
- Email Address: Enter the youth volunteer’s own unique email address.
- Reference #1 Organization: For youth volunteers who are also registered players in AYSO, you can list “AYSO” as the Organization. Under “position/role,” you can enter “Player” or “Participant.” The “Reference #1” and “Reference #2” should be a coach or other official AYSO volunteer or administrator. If the parent is a volunteer, then the parent can list their own name as one of the youth volunteer’s two required references. The Address of AYSO is 711 W. Woodbury Rd., Unit E, Altadena, CA 91001.
- Accept Waiver: This is a radio button set to “No.” Click on it to make the answer turn to “Yes.”
- To submit the form, click the green button labeled “Create Additional Account User & Continue.”
- Volunteer E-signature: After submitting the form (in the previous step above), you will be asked to provide the Volunteer E-signature for the volunteer. Click the button labeled “Click Here to eSign Form.”
- If you are completing the form on behalf of a youth volunteer, you will select the representation as the child’s legal guardian. Type your name to sign.
- Also remember to click the box that says you agree to electronic signature.
- Scroll to the bottom and click the button labeled “Continue to review.”
- On the resulting page, scroll to the bottom again and click “Submit signed volunteer application.”
- On the next page, look for the button to click “Continue.”
- Background Check: Click “Continue.”
- Finally, you’ll see a confirmation of your submission that looks like this:
- An email message will then be delivered to your child’s email address — The message will include an invitation to visit Blue Sombrero to create a new account using your child’s email address.
- Logout of your (parental) Blue Sombrero account, and follow the steps (initiated via email) to create a Blue Sombrero account (using login credentials tied to your child’s email address).
- Familiarize yourself with the special training opportunities we offer to prospective coach and referee volunteers,.
- Verify that you are able to visit AYSOU.org to sign up for the training applicable to your child’s volunteer role. (For example, the in-person Regional Referee course requires registration through AYSOU and has prerequisites in the form of Concussion training and Safe Haven training, both of which are available through AYSOU.)
- You’re Done!