4U Playground and 5U Schoolyard were developed with the assistance of child psychologists and US Soccer, for young children who mostly have not started kindergarten. The objective is to provide young players and their parents with a pressure-free introduction to the beautiful and simple game of soccer. At this age, players should be exposed to soccer by playing simple, fun activities and games that require little or no practice and a minimal time commitment.
The focus is on improving fundamental motor skills in a fun, parent participatory atmosphere, utilizing age appropriate activities and storybook adventures. Players meet only once per week, for one hour, most likely on Saturday afternoon. The program runs approximately 7-8 weeks, from mid-September to early November. Your player will hop, skip, jump, run, throw, balance, kick, and play, building a foundation for sports success.
- No practices during the week
- When: Saturdays, 8am-9am and 9am-10am. There are two groups.
- Where: Victory Park
- 4v4 games end every session
- There are 8 weekends of activities spread over 8 weekends in the Fall. In 2019, the program starts on Saturday, Sept. 7 and ends on Saturday, Oct. 26 (with Saturday, Nov. 2 on hold as a possible rain make-up day).
- Children aren’t assigned to a “team” but instead focus on individual and limited group activities.
- Players are separated into groups, led by Parent Assistant Coaches. Professional trainers oversee groups and Parent Assistant Coaches.
- Each player will receive a trophy at the end of the year.
Each player receives a uniform (jersey, shorts & socks), since it is part of the fun to get dressed up for “the game”. The uniforms are identical for all players. Each player should have their own ball (size 3), shin guards and a water bottle. Shin guards are mandatory. Soccer cleats are not required.
Note: Playground is NOT a mini World Cup experience. Your child will not be playing actual soccer games. This program is heavy on motor skills development and not on competitive soccer. Come enjoy watching your little one learn the beauty of learning to play.